So … I haven’t posted much for the past several weeks – I moved from Dallas to Tulsa, and have just moved into my new home. The yard is great and has lots of sun, a blank slate to be filled with permaculture raised beds! But first … a compost pile!
I had accumulated scraps for the past few days, and need to get composting going quickly. Since I don’t have a formal layout yet for the yard, I wanted to do a quick, movable compost pile. That means a simple wire cylinder!
Step 1: get wire at hardware store (hardware cloth is what it is called)
Step 2: unroll it, straighten it out, then roll it “backwards” into a large cylinder. Since the wire ends were not too cooperative, I ended up “sewing” the ends together with the thin wire that helped hold the roll tight in the package.
Step 3: Place cylinder on ground, and lay in brown. Now, I don’t have any leaves, my favorite “brown.” But I had some newspaper and so I shredded it (it’s what is also used when starting a worm composting bin, so I figure it might just attract some worms to the pile). That was the first layer.
Step 4: Add kitchen waste.
Step 5: Top with more shredded newspaper (brown).
Step 6: Wet it down a bit. Now, this was probably not necessary, since we have had a fine rain most of the day, and expect more over the next few days.
And there you have it! A functioning compost pile for food waste (and leftover newspaper). I’ve accomplished something at the end of Week 1!